The Budapest Ballet Grand Prix (BBGP) will be organised by the Hungarian Dance University from 21-24 November 2023.
- SOLO JUNIOR: 14-16 years old (2006 Nov. 22-2009. Nov.21.)
- SOLO SENIOR: 17-20 years old (2002 Nov. 22-2006. Nov. 21.)
- Pas de Deux: 18-24 years old (1998 Nov. 22-2005. Nov. 21.)
Required repertoire per categories:
- SOLO JUNIOR: two classical Solo Variations (in total)
- SOLO SENIOR: two classical Solo Variations plus one Modern/Contemporary solo (in total)
- Pas de deux: two classical Pas de Deux, plus one Modern/Contemporary duet (in total)
In order to compete, dancers must select their classical variation from the classical repertoire list (see below), while participants of Groups Junior and Senior may choose their modern/contemporary Solo and Pas de Deux of their choice. The time limit for such solo is 2:30/piece and for Pas de Deux is 4 minutes/piece.
3. Application and pre-selection
Participants shall apply to the competition on website.
Participants shall attach a CV, photo and a link to the video recording to their registration for the pre-selection. The video recording must show the competitor performing one variations if competing as a soloist or one pas de deux (adagio, variations and coda) from one of the classic ballet repertoire options given in point 5. if participating as a couple. Further specifications for the video recording are given on the application form.
The application fee is 99.-EUR. The amount shall not be refunded under any circumstances.
A Selection Committee appointed by the Organiser shall adjudicate the pre-selection on the basis of the video recordings and registration documents submitted.
Organizer reserves the right to close the application when the number of the applicants reached the maximum capacity of the competition. Any additional applications will be registered to the waiting list.
4. Specifications of submitting of music recordings for competition performances
Participants shall submit the music recordings of competition performances no later than 10 October 2023 as follows:
– Wma and cda files are not accepted
– Every musical piece should be provided in a good quality
– Piano recordings for classical repertoire variations are not allowed
– No CD or pendrive are allowed
5. Competition repertoire
The competition repertoire shall consist of the classical ballet repertoire listed below and of contemporary dance works. In contemporary dance, the choreography shall contain elements that clearly differ from classical ballet technique. Participants may not perform the same selection from a classical ballet work or contemporary dance work again in a later round. Classical ballet repertoire:
- Coppelia (A. St. Leon) 1st Act Variation
- Coppelia (A. St. Leon) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- Diana & Acteon (A. Vaganova) Pas de Deux and Variations
- Don Quixote (M. Petipa) Cupid Variation
- Don Quixote (M. Petipa) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- Fairy Doll (S. Legat)
- Flower Festival at Genzano (A. Bournonville) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- Giselle (J. Perrot, J. Coralli) Variation of Giselle, Act I Peasant Pas de Deux and Variations, Pas de Deux and Variations from Act II
- Graduation Ball (D. Lichine) Pas De Deux Variations
- Grand Pas Classique (V. Gsovsky): all variations
- Harlequinade (M. Petipa) Pas De Deux and Variations
- La Bayadere (M. Petipa) Three Shade Variations, Act III; Gamzatti Variation, Pas de Deux and Variations, Bronze Idol, Nikia Variation
- La Esmeralda (M. Petipa) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- La Esmeralda (Perrot / A. Bournonville)
- La Fille Mal Gardee (B. Nijinska, D. Romanoff) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- La Sylphide (A. Bournonville) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- La Ventana (A. Bournonville) All Variations
- Laurencia (V. Chabukiani)
- Le Corsaire (M. Petipa) Pas d’Esclave and Variations, Odalisque Variations, Jardin Anime, Act III Pas de Deux and Variations, Medora Variation
- Les Sylphides/Chopiniana (M. Fokine) Male and Female Mazurkas, Waltz # 7 and Waltz # 11, Prelude
- Napoli (A. Bournonville) Pas de Six and all Variations
- Paquita (M. Petipa) All Variations
- Raymonda (M. Petipa) All Variations
- Satanella (M. Petipa) Pas de Deux and Variations
- Swan Lake (M. Petipa, L. Ivanov) Pas de Trois and Variations , Black Swan Grand Pas III.act Pas de Deux and Variations
- The Awakening of Flora (M. Petipa) Variations
- The Cavalry Halt (M. Petipa) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- The Flames of Paris (V. Vainonen) Pas de Deux and Variations
- The Nutcracker Suite (V. Vainonen) Pas de Deux and Variations
The Pharoa’s Daughter (choreographer M.Petipa)
- The Sleeping Beauty (M. Petipa) Variations of Fairies, Aurora Variations from Act I and Act II, Blue Bird Pas de Deux and Variations, Wedding Pas de Deux and Variations
- The Talisman (M. Petipa) Pas de Deux and all Variations
- William Tell Variation (A. Bournonville)
6. International Jury
The international jury shall adjudicate each competitor individually. No adjudicator may award points to any participants who is their family member or with whom they otherwise have a close relationship or whom they have long-term mentored for this competition or who is a student or an employee at a dance institution managed by the jury member.
7. Consent and rights
Participants and their partners shall declare on the registration form that they consent to disclosing their relevant personal details to the Organiser (GDPR).
You can download the Privacy Notice on Date Processing in Connection with the BBGP on the following link:
Competitors shall declare on the registration form that they have the right to perform the competition choreographies.
BBGP reserves the right to make photo or video recordings at any time during any events, at any venues. This includes, but is not limited to, the recordings of classes, participants’ rehearsals and performances during the competition, or any activities at the various venues including the lobby and backstage areas. By participating in BBGP, participants and their parents and/or legal guardians give their express permission for BBGP to make photo and video recordings at any time. Participants and their parents or legal guardians give BBGP their express permission to use any such photo and video recordings, including those containing their name for promotional purposes on television, print, online, or social media.
8. Other rules concerning the participants
Participants and their partners shall themselves be responsible for their costumes and makeup for their performances. Participants and their partners shall themselves be responsible for their insurance coverage during the competition.
The participant agrees with the submission of the application forms the rules of the BBGP.
These rules were approved by the Organization Committee of the Budapest Grand Prix on 8 February 2023.